Step One: What not to do when thawing your meat.
- Do not put your meat in the microwave. Although it seems convenient, using the microwave to thaw or defrost your meat can actually dry it out and create an unevenness in the texture. Additionally, if you use the microwave to thaw your meat, and then wait to use it, there is an increase chance of bacteria to grow. If you are ready to thaw a Roseda steak or burger, we suggest placing the sealed bag in a bowl of cold water. It takes a little more time, but it is much safer and eliminates the possibility of a dry piece of meat.
Step Two: Cooking
- Do not be an excessive flipper. If you are grilling we suggest minimal flipping because this also removes the juices, and does not allow the heat to cook all the way through. We promise if you keep your turns under 4 you will have a great piece of meat.
- Do not flatten your burgers. When you have a spatula in your hand its hard to resist the urge to press down on your burger or steak. The searing sound is nice, but it does not speed up of cooking process. Instead it releases the juices that make for a tender meal.
Step Three: Checking the meat
- Do not pierce or cut your meat. Often times we want to make sure it’s “done,” but cooking meat is not like baking a cake. The fork and knife test lets the juices escape and makes for dryer meat. We suggest investing in a meat thermometer or using the touch test.
For NAMP Based Temperatures
Very Rare Steak – 130 F
Rare Steak – 140 F
Medium-Rare Steak – 145 F
Medium Steak – 160 F
Medium-Well Steak – 170 F
Well-Done Steak –175 F
For Touch Testing
Very Rare Steak – Is soft and sponge like
Rare Steak – Soft to the touch
Medium-Rare Steak – Slight resistance to touch
Medium Steak – Slight resistance, but has a firmness
Medium-Well Steak – Solid firmness
Well-Done Steak – Is hard to the touch and usually dark in color
Step Four: Eating
- Do not eat right away. Temptation will cause you to want dig in, but the best things in life are worth waiting for. Meat needs to rest 3-5 minutes after cooking. This allows the juices to redistribute. Then you can enjoy.