- 1 T olive oil
- 2 chopped onions
- 8 minced cloves garlic
- 4 Beef simmering short ribs
- 2lb Beef stew cubes lb
- 1-1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 c water
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 8 oz fresh okra , trimmed
- In large dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat; cook onions and garlic, stirring occasionally until golden.
- Cut ribs into single-bone sections; add to pot along with stewing beef.
- Cook over high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 30 minutes or until liquid has evaporated and beef is browned.
- Stir in tomatoes, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, salt, pepper and water.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Stir in cumin and scatter okra on top.
- Cover and cook, without stirring, for about 20 minutes or until okra is tender.
- Discard cardamom pods and cinnamon stick. Gently stir in okra.
Recipe adapted from Canadian Living