How to Make St. Patty’s Day Corned Beef
- 3-4 lbs. Roseda brisket
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut into thirds
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. peppercorn
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 bottles stout beer
- 1/4 tsp. whole all spice
- 1/8 tsp. whole cloves
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
Making the brine
- Combine water, kosher salt, vinegar, sugar, bay leaves,
1/2 tsp. peppercorn, 1/4 tsp. mustard seed, and pinch
of ground cloves in a pot.
- Bring this mixture to a boil and set it to the side to
Marinading the brisket in the brine for 1 week
- Place the brisket in the brine and the two sliced garlic
cloves into a large resealable bag.
- Press out as much air as you can and seal tightly.
- Place this into a large pan. You will need to allow it to
sit in your refrigerator for one week. Turn brisket
every couple of days.
Preparing the corned beef brisket
- Take the brisket out of the brine and throwout the
- Rinse the meat well.
- Once the brine is cleaned off, take the brisket and
place it in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Pour enough beer over the brisket so that it is 3/4
ways covered. Next add in the remaining peppercorns,
and mustard seed, as well the allspice, cloves, and
Cooking and Serving the brisket
- Bring the brisket to a low boil. Skim off any foam.
- Reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover tightly and
allow it to cook for 1 hour.
- Turn the brisket halfway through cooking for an
- Remove from pot. Allow cooling.
- When ready to served cut across the grain.