- 1 6- to 8-pound rib roast, small end, chine (back) bone removed)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons coarse grind black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine ingredients for lemon-thyme paste, and press evenly onto roast.
- Place roast, fat side up, in shallow roasting pan. Insert an ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat or touching bone. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 350°F oven for 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours for medium rare, or 2-3/4 to 3 hours for medium.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare or 150°F degrees for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes. (Internal temperature of roast will continue to rise about 10 degrees to reach 145°F for medium rare and 160°F for medium. Carve roast into slices. Makes about 8 servings.